Tuesday, June 13, 2006

fontal lobotomy

Usually I write my reports at home (while watching My Fair Brady I mean while carefully considering the statistical significance of the evaluation results) and I'd never really paid attention to it before, but the font is always Times New Roman, single spaced. Yesterday I wrote one at work and the font ended up being Comic Sans MS, 1.5 spaced.

I don't know if my esteemed colleagues were just sitting around waiting for something to comment on, but over this one detail I heard the following:

"This looks like when you're in school and you have to write a ten page report but you only have seven and a half pages so you try to get creative with the font and the spacing."

"Where's Red's report? I don't have it. Do you have it? Can you make me a copy? Oh, I already have it? This is it? Really? Why does it look like this?"

"This is a good font for writing about what you did last night at the mall."

I looked around at all of them, bewildered. How could they all have such a random, simultaneous opinion? But lesson learned: Mind your fonts at work, people. While Times New Roman might say, "Hey, I'm an expert; listen to me," Comic Sans MS just says you're a slacker Heather standing in line at Orange Julius. But, like, what's wrong with that?

No comments: