Monday, January 08, 2007

Ode to 06

1. What did you do in 2006 that you'd never done before?
This is like being on a date and having the guy ask you something like, "So, what do you do for fun?" Fun? What is this fun of which you speak? But actually, fun ran rampant in 2006. I went to Yankee Stadium, started writing a novel, country line danced, finally tried scotch, joined a gym so expensive that membership should include someone to go for you, experienced the heartbreak of Johnny Damon in pinstripes, was given a Wonka cherry-yum-diddly-fun dip by one of my students, discovered the delightful West Newton trifecta of debauchery (The Cherry Tree, Crowley's and Paddy's), found out that my TV has free karaoke, bought a car, drove it to Niagara Falls, was told the Dirtiest Story I've Ever Heard in My Entire Life at my godmother's retirement party, got yelled at via Friendster by a high school acquaintance, learned that Nick Lachey is emerging from the shadows of his past, saw the wonder that is House of Carters and MTV's Fat Camp, drank $150 wine courtesy of Crazy Neighbor, played psychological games with my other neighbor, spent many a summer night at Fenway pondering what my coming-up-to-bat song would be (maybe Code Red by DJ Jazzy Jeff and the Fresh Prince?), screamed bloody murder when Ronald McDonald walked into my office at work and asked to borrow a pen, uncovered the wonder of Chipotle, threw a couple parties, and found out that Janet Jackson is really singing "oh you nasty boys," not "ode to nasty boys."

2. Did you keep your New Year’s resolutions?
Yes! Also, I don't think I made any.

3. What countries did you visit?
Just Canada. Whee! On this trip I learned many things, such as the fact that Northern Canada is so underpopulated that it's basically lawless. In other words, start loading the car because I want to meet some cannibals. (Because underpopulation means no access to food other than human flesh, right?)

4. What would you like to have in 2007 that you lacked in 2006?
Motivation.

5. What dates from 2006 will remain etched upon your memory, and why?
April 25, my dad's knee surgery. July 21, Olivia's birthday.

6. What was your biggest achievement of the year?
I made some great new friends. I also let go of a few people that had been weighing me down (I know, how Dr. Phil of me, but it's easier to float along without dead weight).

7. What was your biggest failure?
Putting energy into people who didn't deserve it. But at the end of the day, it's all a learning experience. Chalk it up and move on.

8. Did you suffer illness or injury?
I had the flu. It was during the Superbowl. I was not able to eat any chips and/or dip.

9. What was the best thing you bought?
My car.

10. Whose behavior merited celebration?
Yours, baby.

11. Whose behavior made you appalled and depressed?
Carrie Bradshaw in every rerun of Sex and the City.

12. Where did most of your money go?
Condo fee, bills, Sephora.

13. What song will always remind you of 2006?
SexyBack... YEAH!

14. Compared to this time last year, are you:
a) Happier or sadder? Happier
b) Thinner or fatter? About the same
c) Richer or poorer? Richer

15. What do you wish you'd done more of?
Exercise.

16. What do you wish you'd done less of?
I could be responsible and say going out, but it's always a good time.

17. How did you spend Christmas?
With my mom, dad, the Dories, and Kate. It was perfect, except for Humor-Free Bonnie, of course.

18. Did you fall in love in 2006?
No. But loving myself is the greatest love of all.

19. How many one-night stands?
A couple.

20. What was your favorite TV program?
The Office.

21. Do you hate anyone now that you didn't hate this time last year?
Nah. This cowgirl's a lover, not a fighter.

22. What was the best book you read?
Kitchen Confidential by Anthony Bourdain. Mark had been trying to get me to read it forever and I was surprised by how much I liked it.

23. What was your greatest musical discovery?
Jenny Lewis and Rilo Kiley.

24. What did you want and get?
A lovely brown leather jewelry box from Red Envelope and lots of make-up.

25. What did you want and not get?
A vacation.

26. What was your favorite film of this year?
Spanglish. I'm not sure if it came out in 06, but I saw it in 06.

27. What did you do on your birthday, and how old were you?
I went to the Cheesecake Factory with the Jens (Party and Elusive) and turned 29.

28. What one thing would have made your year immeasurably more satisfying?
An obscenely lucrative book deal. Actually finishing a book would be a good place to start. Nice to know I'm in it for the art, huh?

29. How would you describe your personal fashion concept in 2005?
Um... casual?

30. What kept you sane?
My family and friends, as always.

31. Which celebrity/public figure did you fancy the most?
Jason Varitek, as always.

32. What political issue stirred you the most?
The war.

33. Who did you miss?
I'll admit it: When all is said and done, I miss Bonnie. (Her response would be, "What's that supposed to mean? Is that funny?")

34. Who is the best new person you met?
Kate, Mardi, Sarah, Keith, Darren and Miss Peach. And Olivia. I really scored this year in terms of newbies.

35. Tell us some valuable life lessons you learned in 2006.
Surround yourself with people who feel like home and are a positive force in your life.
Be pickier than you think you need to be when it comes to dates, friends, and sushi restaurants.
If someone/something repeatedly seems like too much trouble, it probably is.
And Baz, who knew you'd come through: "Whatever you do, don't congratulate yourself too much, or berate yourself, either. Your choices are half chance. So are everybody else's."

36. Quote a song lyric that sums up your year.
"Grey Goose got your girl feeling loose
Now I'm wishing that I didn't wear these shoes
It's like everytime I get up on the dude
Paparazzi put my business in the news."
-Fergalicious

3 comments:

ReasonswhyIdumpedyou@gmail.com said...

i can't help but think you had a much fuller year than i did. good on ya.

Anonymous said...

Best song lyric to sum up the year EVER. You rock, Red.

don't call me MA'AM said...

I was thinking that you'd have your no pants lyrics somewhere in your summary of 06. ;-)