Thursday, May 18, 2006

maybe I'M actually the crazy neighbor

Party Jen and I drank Crazy Neighbor's $150 wine tonight. It was yum, obviously, but what a waste of money. It wasn't any better than my favorite, Cakebread chardonnay, which is like $50 a bottle (still too rich for my blood, but I'm just saying, no need to go up to the three digits in order to get something really good to go with your pizza and Will & Grace finale).

Beforehand we tried to think of how it would taste, at that price. Like the backwash of angels? Like a liquid vacation? Like Jason Varitek's bathwater (but not immediately after a game)?

Ewwww. Sorry. Those were clearly all my ideas. She just thought I should shut up and open it already.

Of course, leave it to me to find a way to ghetto up that which is supposed to be refined. I picked up a cake yesterday for a co-worker who just finished grad school (i.e. got out of prison), and I put the wine in my car because I'd be going to Jen's after work. Well, when I was taking the cake out of my car this morning, I was adjusting the cover and the wine rolled into part of the cake, covering one side of the bottle in frosting. I sort of paused, not sure what to do, because I didn't have any napkins or anything and my work parking lot was crawling with kids and their parents, and I was thinking that licking frosting off a bottle of wine at eight in the morning in front of children is not really the sort of thing that I want to be remembered for, you know? So I stood the wine up in the cup holder of my car and just went to work. And by the time I got that schmancy libation to Jen's, there was tons of dried, flaking frosting all over it. Presentation is everything, right?

Let it never be said that I'm not a classy girl.

No comments: